ConsortiumRequester – Technical University of Cluj-Napoca
Founded in 1953, the Polytechnic Institute of Cluj precedes the Institute of Mechanics (established in 1953 with majors in Heating Engineering and Working Machines) and the Graduate School for Industry and Public Works Supervisors (1920). In 1992 the Polytechnic Institute has changed its denomination in Technical University of Cluj - Napoca. Technical University of Cluj-Napoca (UTCN) is one of the four technical universities in Romania included in the category of “Universities for Advanced Research and Education”. UTCN has been certified by ARACIS in Romania, as having a “high level of trust” in the quality of education and on the international level UTCN was the first university in the country assessed by the European University Association. Technical University of Cluj-Napoca has a complex configuration made of 13 faculties divided among the two university centers, Cluj-Napoca and Baia-Mare to which are added the graduate schools of Alba-Iulia, Bistrita, Satu-Mare and Zalau. The educational offer organized in accordance with Bologna process includes bachelor's, master and doctoral studies as well as continuous training programs. The domains of study range from engineering to architecture, basic, social and human sciences and arts. Along with education, research is the main activity of Technical University of Cluj - Napoca. Research structures as the collective groups, teams and laboratories, research centers and platforms perform their activities in all faculties within the university. Performance anchored on the social and economic environment along with the scientific novelty and interdisciplinarity are some of the characteristics of the research environment in Technical University. In 2011, the research activities were developed as follows: 165 agreements financed through national competitions within the PN II Program, 10 projects coordinated within the FP7 Research Program of European Union, 73 research agreements with Romanian companies and 21 International Research Agreements.
Partner 1 – The National Museum of Transylvanian History of Cluj-Napoca
The National Museum of Transylvanian History of Cluj-Napoca is a public institution, having as main performance the preservation, enrichment and improvement of the cultural inheritance. Since 1963, the Museum has run its activity in the current form, but its beginnings date back to 1859 with the foundation of the Transylvanian Museum of Cluj. The museum's collections are representative of the history of Transylvania from prehistory and up to the present days, the whole activity of preservation – restoration, research and display is focused especially on this inheritance and on all of its related issues. The museum's collection exceeds 400000 objects and comprises the largest and most important collection of Dacian artifacts found in the Dacian strongholds in Orăştiei Mountains. During the time, the aforementioned collection has been displayed either in its own exposition venue or in temporary exhibitions in country and abroad. Furthermore, specialists in Dacian civilization perform their activity within the National Museum of Transylvanian History. Every year, these specialists attend archaeological research made in Grădiştea de Munte – Sarmizegetusa Regia, Costeşti, Blidaru, Piatra – Roşie. Promoting the inheritance for the large public is one of the main attribute of the museum. By this project the exhibition venue will enjoy an interactive and at the same time attractive method of displaying artifacts.
Partner 2 - „Babeş-Bolyai” University of Cluj-Napoca
Babeş-Bolyai University is a comprehensive university of advanced research and education. By meeting the three requirements imposed by a modern university – education, research and community services – the university’s main goal consists in generating and transferring knowledge. The beginnings of university date back to 1579. Since then, the university endured countless changes, the last one in 1959 when it has received the denomination used nowadays.
The university‘s academic culture and environment is targeted towards research as shown by the results of the scientific activity (grants, publications, patents, prizes etc.). The university’s concern for the international scientific visibility is proven by the increased number of works published in magazines registered in international databases and in volumes published by worldwide publishing houses (from approx. 4000 works published each year, over 70% enjoy international visibility) and by its preoccupation for increasing international grants.
Some of the domains where Babeş-Bolyai University has had remarkable results during the time are history and archeology. Thus, almost 100 years ago the representatives of the university started the systematic archeological research in Dacian sites in Orăştiei Mountains, and then they attended all diggings made at these sites. The Faculty of History and Philosophy within the University of Cluj has a major role in forming and training several generations of specialists interested in Dacian civilization. Currently, the archeological site Dacian Strongholds in Orăştiei Mountains performs its works under the scientific supervision of a member of the Department of Ancient History and Archeology and has always been one of the best sites of the Babeş-Bolyai University.
Partner 3 – The Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization of Deva
The Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization of Deva is a public institution, which main performance consists in preservation, enrichment and improvement of the cultural inheritance. Since 1920, the Museum has run its activity in the current form as an institution administered by the county. However, its beginnings date back to the 19th Century, in 1880 with the foundation of the Society of History and Archeology of Hunedoara county. The museum collection includes representative items in the history of Hunedoara region, from prehistory and up to the contemporary period.The museum’s activity is focused on enhancing its heritage by restoration – preservation, research and displaying actions. The museum’s specialists held and attend national and international symposiums while the objects of the museum are displayed in exhibition venues in Deva and also in different museums in country – traveling and international exhibitions organized by various cultural institutions. Another main activity of the museum consists in publishing of both specialty works (studies, volumes and the museum annual magazine) and of the promotional materials containing the cultural heritage. The archeology collection represents a significant part, most of the objects being found in Hunedoara county, a region filled with ancient traces. For instance, Sarmizegetusa Regia, the capital of Dacian Kingdom was located here along with another four Dacian strongholds within the complex of Dacian Strongholds in Orăştiei Mountains, which are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1999. The collection of Dacian items from Orăştiei Mountains hold a special place in the collection of archeology, a part of the items being already displayed in exhibition venues. The specialists of the archeology department attend archeological researches in different sites within the county, including the Dacian Strongholds in Orăştiei Mountains. Promoting the inheritance for the large public is one of the main attribute of the museum and by means of this project the public will enjoy an interactive and at the same time attractive method of displaying artifacts.